Level of Difficulty
Learn how to install a fence post capital on a fence post.
Mark out the centre of the top of your post:
- Rule from opposite corner to corner and mark centre point.
TIP: Use a nail and hammer to tap a drill guide point in the centre.
- Drill 50mm (half the length of screws) deep in centre point.
Attach Fence Post Capital:
- With vice grips, secure the screw and wind into the top of your drill hole until the screw has half its length remaining.
- Once screwed in, remove vice grips.
- Apply construction adhesive around the base of the screw where the post capital will sit.
NOTE: To avoid adhesive seeping from your post capital only use a small circle around the base- don't cover the post head.
- Take your turned capital and wind down onto the screw until flush with your post head.
- Ensure screwed on tight.
If you are using a Pyramid Fence Post Capital it is a much faster installation:
1. Make sure the top of your fence post is nice and clean
2. Place adhesive on top of the post and the inside of the capital
3. Position capital over the post, slide down and apply pressure before leaving to set
Materials Available at Hammersmith
- Titebond PROvantage Construction Adhesive
- Traditional Turned Fence Post Capitals
- Pyramid Style Fence Post Capitals
- Double ended galvanised dowel screws (100mm in length)
- Cordless Drill (7mm drill bit)